If You Were Mistreated By Your Employer, Call John W. Dalton Today At 866-471-7810 For A Free Case Evaluation!

An unpaid wages case handled by an attorney in Solana Beach, CA.

As an employee, you not only need to make sure that your employer pays you, but you also need to make sure your employer pays you properly. Unfortunately, there are many ways an employer can quietly and illegally diminish your wages. Your first line of defense against this kind of maltreatment is to educate yourself about your rights as an employee. You can hold your employer accountable for unpaid or improperly paid wages by filing an unpaid wages lawsuit. If you suspect payment issues, your best course of action is to speak to an experienced Solana Beach unpaid wages lawyer

At the John W. Dalton Law Offices, we focus exclusively on resolving employment issues, including litigating unpaid wage complaints for employees. We have won some of the largest employment law verdicts in California, and we are ready to fight on your behalf. Contact us today.

Minimum Wage

If you are an employee in California and your employer has 25 employees or less, they need to pay you at least $14 an hour. If your employer has more than 26 employees, they need to pay you at least $15 an hour. This is the current minimum wage, but it is due to increase soon. It’s important to regularly review the minimum wage laws and your paychecks to make sure you’re receiving proper pay. 

Prevailing Wage

While most jobs are subject to minimum wage rates, some employees must receive a prevailing wage for their labor. If your employer hires you to perform certain work for a public works contract, they need to pay you a prevailing wage. This wage usually reflects what a majority of workers doing the same work receive. This rate could be considerably more than minimum wage.

Also, this rate is required to prevent contractors from misusing their employees in order to have the lowest bids on public works projects. If you’re unsure about whether you should receive a prevailing wage and how much it should be, speak to an experienced Solana Beach unpaid wages attorney.  


If you’re a non-exempt employee who works more than eight hours in a day, more than 40 hours in a week, or more than six days in a row, you’re entitled to overtime pay for the excess time you work. Depending on how much overtime you work, your employer needs to pay you 1.5 or 2 times your regular rate of pay. 

Tips and Gratuities

Many employees depend on their hard-earned tips from patrons to make ends meet. If tips are part of your wages, please remember that your employer cannot keep a portion of your tips or count them as a credit on your other wages. Your tips from a patron are your sole property. 

The Last Paycheck

If you’re an at-will employee in California, you can quit your job at any time, for any reason. Your employer has 72 hours after notice of your quitting to give you your final paycheck. If your employer fails to provide you with your paycheck in time, they can be liable for up to 30 days’ worth of penalties. 

Unpaid Wages Lawsuit

Any failure of an employer to fully pay you for your work can be devastating. Fortunately, you have legal recourse to recover your money (and sometimes penalties). You can file a wage claim with the California Labor Commissioner. You have two years to file a claim against an employer who violated an oral promise to pay you more than minimum wage. You otherwise have three years to file a claim for unpaid wages. 

Our Solana Beach Unpaid Wages Lawyer Is Here to Fight for Your Livelihood

You deserve to receive the full value of your hard work. However, it can be hard to confront an unethical boss about your money. At the John W. Dalton Law Offices, we have the experience and successful track record to make sure your employer respects your rights. If you’re looking for a Solana Beach unpaid wages attorney, we are here.

Our experienced legal team also handles clients with other types of employment cases including work discrimination, wrongful discharge, and unsettled overtime.

We are aggressive when necessary, and we have recovered millions on behalf of mistreated workers. You can contact us online or give us a call for a consultation. We serve all of California.